Author Topic: Shop dolly  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Zman

• View Profile
    • http://
Shop dolly
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
Hello All

Well I have been moving the sleds around for summer and just plain got sick and tired of putting dollies under the skis and track to move a sled around!
So I decided its about time to buy a shop dolly!

I borrowed one of my friends and after lifting a Mach Z it promptly spread apart and the wheels went to different directions making wheeling it around almost impossible      !

Well I can see I wont be buying that model!

My question here is: where I can buy a good heavy duty shop dolly that will lift all types of sleds and has pneumatic tires and wont get all pigeon toed when I lift a few of these heavyweight sleds.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:40:18 PM by Zman »
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

The loudest sound you will ever hear .a click when you expect a bang .and a bang when expect a click!

Offline David

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »
Hello All

Well I have been moving the sleds around for summer and just plain got sick and tired of putting dollies under the skis and track to move a sled around!
So I decided its about time to buy a shop dolly!

I borrowed one of my friends and after lifting a Mach Z it promptly spread apart and the wheels went to different directions making wheeling it around almost impossible      !

Well I can see I wont be buying that model!

My question here is: where I can buy a good heavy duty shop dolly that will lift all types of sleds and has pneumatic tires and wont get all pigeon toed when I lift a few of these heavyweight sleds.
[snapback]234167[/snapback]

Zman,

I've got the CMP brand "heavy duty" model and I wouldn't be with out it.  Use it on everything from the little 79 Jag to the '01 Pantera 580 my Dad used to have.  On the Pantera, it would clear the back rest when it was in the rear most postition for the passenger.  It has two lifting pads on each "arm", while each "arm" is adjustable in and out.

I see they now have a standard and a two-up model.  I dont' recall their being a two-up model when I got mine a couple years back.  Let me know if you'd like any measurements off mine to compare which one of these cmp shop dollys  mine might be.

You're not the dalai lama of sled appraisals bro   :biggrin: :beer2:
You never see a snowmobile parked in front of a Psychiatrist office.

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
Shop dolly
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
Best thing to do IMO is wait until the snow shows... Then you can look at all the possibilities, ask questions and usually purchase at a discount.

If you're looking for something unique, this guy has some space saving dollies that look pretty tough.

Three sleds in the space of two.

Might help with replacing skis and carbides, plus it looks to cut sled storage space in half.

He claims his 64 year old grandma can move sleds with this one.

http://www.aquacarts.com/snowmobile/snowmobile_carts.htm

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
Rick, why are  pneumatic  tires a must? Also what heavyweight sleds are you using it on.  Some styles work better on trailing arms vs a-arm sleds.

That tree statement is bs. It's way wider  than only one sled width.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:34:58 PM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »
Rick, why are  pneumatic  tires a must? Also what heavyweight sleds are you using it on.  Some styles work better on trailing arms vs a-arm sleds.

That tree statement is bs. It's way wider  than only one sled width.
[snapback]234201[/snapback]
You need to re-read the ad.  

You can save valuable space with 3 units in the space of 2.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
Shop dolly
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
That tree statement is bs. It's way wider  than only one sled width.

You made me re-read...

It is in fact three (3) sleds in the place of two (2) sleds.

I agree a little confusing considering the fact the two on the bottom are tipped, but that looks to back his claim considering there's what appears to be an 6" support inbetween... In other words, I think they're tipped so they're the same width if they were ski to ski.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »
Rick, why are pneumatic tires a must? Also what heavyweight sleds are you using it on. Some styles work better on trailing arms vs a-arm sleds.

That tree statement is bs. It's way wider than only one sled width.

[snapback]234208[/snapback]
Your right, I was holding a pork chop in one hand, typing with the other, one eye on that chop, and one eye on the monitor, all during lunch at work :angel:
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Fom

• View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
Rick, why are pneumatic tires a must? Also what heavyweight sleds are you using it on. Some styles work better on trailing arms vs a-arm sleds.

That tree statement is bs. It's way wider than only one sled width.

[snapback]234208[/snapback]
Your right, I was holding a pork chop in one hand, typing with the other, one eye on that chop, and one eye on the monitor, all during lunch at work :angel:
[snapback]234224[/snapback]
:floor:

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I've had one of these (the dolly, not the "doll"! :P ) for several years, and it works on any sled I've had in the garage, including my dad's 2 up Pantera. The pneumatic tires are optional, and I haven't got/used them, so can't speak to how they work on dirt, etc.

EazyMove Sled Carts

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
I've had one of these (the dolly, not the "doll"! :P ) for several years, and it works on any sled I've had in the garage, including my dad's 2 up Pantera. The pneumatic tires are optional, and I haven't got/used them, so can't speak to how they work on dirt, etc.

EazyMove Sled Carts
[snapback]234228[/snapback]
Zirt, I'm glad you posted that. I have one and thats why I was asking Z-man some of the questions I did. I also have the pneumatic tires . They have to be put in the sides after the dolly is under the sled.

Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gobigparts.com/
Shop dolly
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »
Go Big Parts

Offline David

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:36 AM »

EazyMove Sled Carts
Zirt, I'm glad you posted that. I have one and thats why I was asking Z-man some of the questions I did. I also have the pneumatic tires . They have to be put in the sides after the dolly is under the sled.
[snapback]234230[/snapback]

One thing to keep in mind with these types of dolly is how much "side room" is needed to get the dolly into postion and then remove the dolly once you've got the sled where you want it.  I was just thinking how this dolly would work for me where I'm keeping 3 sleds in the 3rd stall of my garage.  I store one sled right up next to the outside wall.  I need to leave just enough room to get my dolly wheel between the wall and the side of the belly pan.  I couldn't tell in the video, but it would appear that I'd have to leave more room between the sled and the object next to the sled for this one arm dolly to get the lifting pad in and out from under the belly pan :shrug:   Not knocking the dolly at all, just making an observation...
You're not the dalai lama of sled appraisals bro   :biggrin: :beer2:
You never see a snowmobile parked in front of a Psychiatrist office.

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with these types of dolly is how much "side room" is needed to get the dolly into postion and then remove the dolly once you've got the sled where you want it.  I was just thinking how this dolly would work for me where I'm keeping 3 sleds in the 3rd stall of my garage.  I store one sled right up next to the outside wall.  I need to leave just enough room to get my dolly wheel between the wall and the side of the belly pan.  I couldn't tell in the video, but it would appear that I'd have to leave more room between the sled and the object next to the sled for this one arm dolly to get the lifting pad in and out from under the belly pan :shrug:   Not knocking the dolly at all, just making an observation...
[snapback]234242[/snapback]
That's a concern, but it really doesn't need much room. I keep sleds in the "dead" (no door) bay of my garage too, between the wall and the tractor. It really needs only abbout a foot or so of room. I just slide the dolly in along side/parrallell to the sled, then angle it in.  Don't need the whole 4ft. or whatever the length of the dolly is. Also, the handle can go on either side in seconds.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:31 AM »

EazyMove Sled Carts
[snapback]234230[/snapback]

One thing to keep in mind with these types of dolly is how much "side room" is needed to get the dolly into postion and then remove the dolly once you've got the sled where you want it.  I was just thinking how this dolly would work for me where I'm keeping 3 sleds in the 3rd stall of my garage.  I store one sled right up next to the outside wall.  I need to leave just enough room to get my dolly wheel between the wall and the side of the belly pan.  I couldn't tell in the video, but it would appear that I'd have to leave more room between the sled and the object next to the sled for this one arm dolly to get the lifting pad in and out from under the belly pan :shrug:   Not knocking the dolly at all, just making an observation...
[snapback]234242[/snapback]
I don't remember exactly where, but I mounted 2 small 360* swiveling casters on mine at each end 90* to the main wheels. I think they are facing forward on the 2x4. They only contact the floor when the handle is almost straight up, and the main wheels are pivoted off the floor. I can slide it sideways length wise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:36:27 AM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Rotax_kid

• View Profile
Shop dolly
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Self Built...think I have the drawings somewhere for it..it's beefy though..I built it out of free scrap and betcha it weighs somewhere in the 80 lbs range....capacity of atleast two wun-tuns :)  
The bar out front is removable and has a couple pieces of air seeder pipe slitted onto it so the bar only makes contact with the aluminum belly...I also have one like Randy posted above and that didn't work quite as well for me with the A-arms as this one does..especially with the Rev's where the outer panels kinda scarred me with how much plastic that had down there.
It can go through anything..4" of snow isn't a problem.  The only beef I have with it is I need to do some finishing work on it...I've touched a few things with the corners of it..it takes paint of things pretty easily. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:27:39 PM by Rotax_kid »
Wannabe Enjineer
-----------------------
Porkeese Stewdunt inn Trainnin
-----------------------
If a Load pipe is Load in the forrest and no one hears it..is it still Load?