Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 3106 times)

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
Tech Question
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
Two stroker assistance please.

The specific project is a Strikemaster Magnum III ice auger, but the same logic can be applied to two stroke sled motors.

Auger had bad gas in the tank for quite a while when purchased for $20.  I emptied the tank and cleaned it out, installed new fuel filter and gas line.  New spark plug.  Removed the carb, cleaned it out, re-assembled using same gaskets.

Auger will now start & run on full choke, but when the trottle is applied it dies.  When the choke is opened it dies.  Will only run at idle on full choke.

Could be sucking air, carb may still need cleaning or adjusting.

Thoughts anyone?

Winter is in the air, sled just needs brake pucks & carbides this year, guess I have that covered.  I realize we have a tech forum, thought this might add some activity to the general board, hopefully this can be left here.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:59:28 PM by 2qik »
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline tison1200

• View Profile
Re: Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
sounds to me like its getting too much air and not enough fuel...what does that little motor use as far as fuel delivery from the tank to the carb? is it gravity fed or? I would also not have used the same gaskets when rebuilding the carb...get a rebuild kit and rebuild it and see if that helps :shrug:

Impotence....Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings,"

"Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in jail"

Offline cpc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Try clearing the main jet with a needle then rinse it with thinner or carb cleaner.  That move works magic for me almost every time on weed wackers etc.  I'd dunk the carb for a few days more too.

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »
i use a manual auger

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
i use a manual auger
That may work where you live, as you probably only get six to eight inches of ice.  Up where 2qik lives, the average ice thickness on the lakes is 30" or more.  I guess you could auger through that manually, but a power auger makes it a whole lot easier.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline RevManII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:29:38 AM »
Try clearing the main jet with a needle then rinse it with thinner or carb cleaner.  That move works magic for me almost every time on weed wackers etc.  I'd dunk the carb for a few days more too.

I agree. Sounds like no fuel is getting through the main and limited through the idle circuit. Soak it good then make sure all passages and jets are clear.

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:51:43 AM »
Definetly related to lean/richness, maybe due to dirt BUT.

I have a Ryobi string trimmer, 30cc and it has never run real well... I futzed with it a bit and could never really get it to run unless 1/2 choke was on, there are plastic caps with stops over what appear to be a low and high speed needle screws. I could turn them a little, but no real help so I started to search. I found that Ryobi contracted these motors from China and was to meet stricter EPA regs. Since it's a 2 stroke they figure I guess they'll accomplish this by leaning down the mixture and putting stops over the screws.

Well, I busted the stops off and turned out the main screw about 3/4 turn past where the plastic stopped it, runs like a champ now!

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
Clean carb again. Does this have the fuel line  that goes straight into the tank?Where the line itself provides a seal with the hole in the tank?  Line may be collapsed inside tank
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline T Hillrider

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Definetly related to lean/richness, maybe due to dirt BUT.

I have a Ryobi string trimmer, 30cc and it has never run real well... I futzed with it a bit and could never really get it to run unless 1/2 choke was on, there are plastic caps with stops over what appear to be a low and high speed needle screws. I could turn them a little, but no real help so I started to search. I found that Ryobi contracted these motors from China and was to meet stricter EPA regs. Since it's a 2 stroke they figure I guess they'll accomplish this by leaning down the mixture and putting stops over the screws.

Well, I busted the stops off and turned out the main screw about 3/4 turn past where the plastic stopped it, runs like a champ now!
+1 on what Thinker said. I have fixed a lot of newer small engines lately with what Jim suggested.
T Hillrider/Chris
Oneida Lake "Rat"  / Tug Hill Lover

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:42 AM »
i use a manual auger
That may work where you live, as you probably only get six to eight inches of ice.  Up where 2qik lives, the average ice thickness on the lakes is 30" or more.  I guess you could auger through that manually, but a power auger makes it a whole lot easier.

I ice fish at the PorkShack - it is where 2quik lives or about as far north.

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
i use a manual auger

Where exactly is the PorkShack?  'Cause I highly doubt that it's as far north as where 2qik lives.  Drawing a line due east from Duluth, there isn't a lot of Wisconsin that falls north of the line.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
i use a manual auger

We are north of Mercer, but that isn't really why the ice is thick.  Northern MN is just colder temperature wise than locations in northern WI and MI.  Ice is probably a couple weeks ahead of Mercer.  I typically hand auger till mid January, but after that you aren't cutting more than a few holes without power.  Not a whole lot different than the PorkShack I assume.

Thanks to everyone for the info.  Next weekend maybe I'll mess with this project some more.
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
i use a manual auger

Where exactly is the PorkShack?  'Cause I highly doubt that it's as far north as where 2qik lives.  Drawing a line due east from Duluth, there isn't a lot of Wisconsin that falls north of the line.
Due west of Presque Isle about 8 miles - you should hit the Porker and see for yourself.  Of course I don't Ice fish as much so the dozen or so holes I drill only tire me out once in awhile.  :biggrin:

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
i use a manual auger

Due west of Presque Isle about 8 miles - you should hit the Porker and see for yourself.  Of course I don't Ice fish as much so the dozen or so holes I drill only tire me out once in awhile.  :biggrin:

I've dug through 2/3ft ice as far south as Three Lakes... It really depends on where you dig and how the ice was formed.