Author Topic: High quality gear?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
High quality gear?
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
Last weekend I was digging out my winter gear for another season and realized I've been wearing the same stuff since I moved into my house like 13 years ago!  Seriously, same black Columbia shell, same black SnoStuff bibs or black Ski-doo backup bibs, even the same Arctic Cat canvas top boots!  I've only worn out like 2 pairs of riding gloves during this time.  Even still have my HJC CL10 helmet for backup duty, and the only reason I bought a new helmet was the snell rating was no longer adequate for NHRA.  Black never goes out of style so here we go for another season.

I wear this stuff snowmobiling, skiing, icefishing, shoveling/snowblowing, etc...  and it's still in good shape.  So now I'm curious, is the quality just that good on gear or am I unusually easy on gear?

- 2qik
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline sledrider

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: High quality gear?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »
Last weekend I was digging out my winter gear for another season and realized I've been wearing the same stuff since I moved into my house like 13 years ago!  Seriously, same black Columbia shell, same black SnoStuff bibs or black Ski-doo backup bibs, even the same Arctic Cat canvas top boots!  I've only worn out like 2 pairs of riding gloves during this time.  Even still have my HJC CL10 helmet for backup duty, and the only reason I bought a new helmet was the snell rating was no longer adequate for NHRA.  Black never goes out of style so here we go for another season.

I wear this stuff snowmobiling, skiing, icefishing, shoveling/snowblowing, etc...  and it's still in good shape.  So now I'm curious, is the quality just that good on gear or am I unusually easy on gear?

- 2qik
Wow your lucky!
The saying
"they dot make um like they used to"
is good good example of your stuff!

I doubt we will see things last 10 yrs anymore!
Companies dont want them to, or people will not spend...
My other ride is your MOM

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
I think gear tends to hold up well if you take care of it, keep it clean, etc.  This is especially true for general trail riding.  If your racing, riding off trail through the bush, stuff always can get messed up easier, its just probability that a branch could snag a sleeve, etc.  I would replace the lid though on a whether it needs it or not basis about every 5 years.  I've heard directly from snell, that sweat can break down the EPS in a lid pretty dramatically. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
I planned on picking up some new gear this year, but I can't seem to rub two cents together right now... Everyone that has a hand stuck it into my pocket the last six months!!! (and not in a good way, either)....  :no2:

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:12:37 AM »
I planned on picking up some new gear this year, but I can't seem to rub two cents together right now... Everyone that has a hand stuck it into my pocket the last six months!!! (and not in a good way, either)....  :no2:

So your saying you did not even get a reach-around?
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »

So your saying you did not even get a reach-around?

Probably no grease either...
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
I've still got AC and SnoStuff gear (jacket, bibs, boots) that I wore at least that long ago. It's a little dirty from oil, etc. here and there, and the bibs leak like a seive when you sit on a wet seat, but no tears or fraying.  Gloves only last me a couple seasons though, and the liners in the boots are all packed down to half their original thickness.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
I did buy a cheap off road style helmut recently. HJC  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now I need to find a good deal on goggles and a quick strap system.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
get the scott turbo's with quick strap and light sensitive lens.  for the money its a very good setup.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
get the scott turbo's with quick strap and light sensitive lens.  for the money its a very good setup.

Do they sell a set up, all set up. All I've been seeing is the goggles and the strap set up seperately.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
yes, mine came with QS's, I just added the light sensitive lens which is like 5 minutes to swap lens.

509 is supposed to offer a light sensitive lens too.  Randy @ gobig may know more about that, its not out yet, but the 509's seem to be a nice goggle too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:01:39 PM by Kingpin »

Offline MELROSEMAFIA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
Finally had to retire the bibs (ski-doo/camoplast) i've been wearing since 1992...Been wearing the same helmet (arctic cat/hjc) since 1996...Usually have to special order my gloves (xxxl)..I find that the Cat gloves fit best...Was amazed at what some guys spend on boots from the other thread...Lucked out on a spring clearance sale at Gander Mt a few years back..Picked up a couple pairs of LaCrosse brand sno-pack boots for $39.99...Have ridden with them in temps as low as -23*f with no problems....

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »
Finally had to retire the bibs (ski-doo/camoplast) i've been wearing since 1992...Been wearing the same helmet (arctic cat/hjc) since 1996...Usually have to special order my gloves (xxxl)..I find that the Cat gloves fit best...Was amazed at what some guys spend on boots from the other thread...Lucked out on a spring clearance sale at Gander Mt a few years back..Picked up a couple pairs of LaCrosse brand sno-pack boots for $39.99...Have ridden with them in temps as low as -23*f with no problems....

The ski-doo bibs and jacket I had matched my 93' Formula Plus, bought on clearance for like $100.  The jacket went with the sled when I sold it but I kept the bibs.  Still in look and work great today.

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »
Wow your lucky!
The saying "they dot make um like they used to" is good good example of your stuff!

I doubt we will see things last 10 yrs anymore!
Companies dont want them to, or people will not spend...

That's what I was wondering, if I did replace this stuff is the new stuff just as good quality.  I believe the new stuff is lighter, probably better breathing/moisture wicking material, not sure on durabilty?

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
I've still got AC and SnoStuff gear (jacket, bibs, boots) that I wore at least that long ago. It's a little dirty from oil, etc. here and there, and the bibs leak like a seive when you sit on a wet seat, but no tears or fraying.  Gloves only last me a couple seasons though, and the liners in the boots are all packed down to half their original thickness.

The SnoStuff bibs are fantastic in terms of durability and warmth.  The downside is they are heavy.  Great quality though.  The soles are worn on my Arctic Cat boots, specifically on the heal, and the liners are aged, but I'm thinking they could go several more years just replacing liners.

I alternate like 3-4 pairs of gloves.  My favorite riding gloves are Arctic Cat with leather palms/fingers, but those are finally wearing down after 6-7 years.  I use Ice Armour for fishing but I don't like those for riding.  The other 2 pairs came out of the grab baskets at Menards any they are throw away after 2 years.