Author Topic: UL/6mile 99' ZR500 help  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Frostbit

• View Profile
Re: UL/6mile 99' ZR500 help
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »

The linked youtube video is well worth watching for those with Arctic Cat ignition gremlins. This guy is sharp, and steers you though diagnostics. He has several videos on youtube, and they are all good. This one is very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlaineDP#p/a/u/0/iwwl4LPyOCY
Frostbit

Nome, Alaska

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
So you got the sled to run?

6mile,

ZR is still down, been riding my wife's ZL440 as a backup, taking some sh!t as the sled has a big purple windshield bag.  Time to get the ZR back...

Intermitant spark, leaning toward stator like UL said.  Problem is stators are freaking expensive!  Anyone know where to get a cheap stator for a zr500?

- 2qik

Look in your back yard. :floor:

Emerson Stahl, 3510 Hahn Rd, Proctor.   624.2183

I've never been there but I know some locals who have.  They say you think your're driving into someones yard with a garage.  You just have to go by the address on the driveway. :shrug:
Mohawk's salvage is in Hibbing. They'll probably have a used one...

...however, I'd get a rebuilt one or new one if you plan on keeping the sled.

http://www.rmstator.com/en/index.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/RMSTATOR_Arctic-Cat_W0QQ_fsubZ240366219QQ_pidZRMSTATORQQ_sidZ137100099QQ_tabZ3QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

He's selling them for $199 on EBay.

If you send him the Stator it's $175 + shipping.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:55:43 PM by Up Late »
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline Frostbit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

The guy on youtube's name there is "BlaineDP". You can send him a message. He rewinds stators for $150, which is a good deal. No doubt he can help you out. I believe he is in Michigan, but not certain.

I would not go with a used or take out unit, because you don't know how long it will last.
Frostbit

Nome, Alaska

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

I've never been there but I know some locals who have.  They say you think your're driving into someones yard with a garage.  You just have to go by the address on the driveway. :shrug:

I know Emerson.  I bought a 93' Formula Plus from him and also bought a 583 motor from him when my Mach 1 let go.  The 583 motor deal turned out sour as it was sold as "rebuilt" but the rings were installed backwards, plus if I remember correctly there was no power to the accessories due to a bad stator.  Emerson made good on the deal,   but I haven't spoken with him since I separated from ski doo products...
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »

I know Emerson.  I bought a 93' Formula Plus from him and also bought a 583 motor from him when my Mach 1 let go.  The 583 motor deal turned out sour as it was sold as "rebuilt" but the rings were installed backwards, plus if I remember correctly there was no power to the accessories due to a bad stator.  Emerson made good on the deal,   but I haven't spoken with him since I separated from ski doo products...
I like the advice of these guys about the rebuilt with a warranty. Cat seems to have a little problem in that vintage.
LLAP

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »

I bought a 93' Formula Plus from him and also bought a 583 motor from him when my Mach 1 let go.  The 583 motor deal turned out sour as it was sold as "rebuilt" but the rings were installed backwards, plus if I remember correctly there was no power to the accessories due to a bad stator.  Emerson made good on the deal,   but I haven't spoken with him since I separated from ski doo products...

Seperataing from ski- doo was a good thing about that vintage. So did I. 1991 was the last for a while. :floor:
LLAP

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
I like the advice of these guys about the rebuilt with a warranty. Cat seems to have a little problem in that vintage.

I wouldn't tear it down and install a 10 year old used electrical part, I be second guessing when it was going to let go on every ride.   :wacko:

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »

The '98-2000 ZR 5's and 6's were notorious for stator failures. I've seen 'em on ebay, but you never know what you're getting. There are a couple outfits rebuilding them; they replace the defective coil and re-do it.

Do a search for "RM Stator", and Ricky Stator", I know there is another, and I'll go look. One is in Canada.  Someone else may chime in here, but this is a start. I would suggest a rebuild, then you have yours back and it comes with a warranty.

I think its a couple hundred bucks.

Same place UL recommended, think I'm going that route.  Thanks for the info.

If notorious means I can get 6400 "gental" miles out of a stator I'm good with that.  They all have weaknesses, so far this ZR has been fantastic in terms of reliability.  I already went through the clutch (spiders are the other weakness) which means this thing should be good for another 6400 once the stator is replaced.  :mf_w00t2:

Note:  I have a spare seat as the AC shop class students didn't fare well in sewing class...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:19:18 PM by 2qik »