Author Topic: 1981 ultra sonic  (Read 2563 times)

Offline 2ndtry

• View Profile
1981 ultra sonic
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
So after 18 years of storage my 13 yo son talked me into a father son project on the old moto ski. The parts arrived and with very little to do yet we discover we need a cylinder jug. I've been searching and e-mailing salvage yards with no luck. Can anyone help me out or send me a contact that may have a cylinder. The only numbers I found on the old one were H23 HMB   1981 moto ski ultra sonic standard 67.5 mm bore. Thanks in advance!

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: 1981 ultra sonic
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did you check for cylinders for a 1981 Blizzard 9500, too?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline 2ndtry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the motor in the $500 complete sled is the same, must have been a transplant. I really don't want to switch out the entire engine as the goal was for my son to learn that things can be fixed. Yes I probably did even more searches for the 9500 blizzard than the moto ski. I received two replies back from salvage dealers. One guy says he don't think he has it, and another says he should have it. Waiting for confirmation from the one who thinks he has it and the condition and price. Fingers crossed! Thanks again guys.

Offline 470

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Try calling LA Sleeve and see if they still make a sleeve for it. The sleeves are easy to change with an oven and ice.

Offline 2ndtry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Found one, Thanks, Als snowmobile parts. May not get to test drive it this year but at least my son should get to here it run.

Offline 2ndtry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
My son has finished putting everything back together. I now move onto a new problem, no spark. This does not come as a surprise as I believe many years ago I swapped the coil and cdi onto a blizzard 9500. Unfortunately I don't recall which part fixed the blizzard so I'm not sure which part to purchase. In a relatively dark garage I noticed that the gauges light up dimly when I pull the rope. Also I put a regular 12 volt test light on the red/black wire that goes into the cdi box and again had a dim light. Do you think these tests rule out the stator/magneto? As dim as the lights are i'm wandering if after 18 years these generators may have some corrosion. I'm not really sure how bright it should be when pulling it over. I also disconnected the plug from the motor to rule out ignition switch or kill switch. If you were to guess, is a coil or cdi more likely to fail?