Author Topic: I'm wired wrong  (Read 1320 times)

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
I'm wired wrong
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »
Last season I purchased a nice vintage 74' El Tigre' (my childhood dream sled) with 680 original miles. I thought it would be a fun sled for a few vintage runs or cruising the local trails in style.  The paint was peeling on the fuel tank so I cleaned it up and painted it.  The windshield had a small crack so I replaced it.  The belt cover looked rough so I cleaned it up, smoothed in some body filler, painted it nice.  Pipe was rusty so I found a mint replacement and painted it, complete with new springs.  The plastic trunk in the seat (which you can't even see) had a small repair so I found a mint replacement. The recoil cover had some scratches so I painted it.  Ski assemblies were rough looking so pulled them and stripped them for paint.  By now your seeing the pattern.  Why do I feel the need correct "charactor marks" on a sled nearly 40 years old? 

The old cat is starting to look minty, and it was by no means rough to start!

I'm feeling a need to attend Haydays to see if I can find more parts and continue the trend...
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: I'm wired wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Vintage sleds can be money pits if you let them.  :rolleyes:
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline AdrenalineJunky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
You are trying to perfect your memories by restoring the machine.  Back then, the machines were much newer so we want to remember them they way they were.  I do notice that at times memories can be over-ridden by new memories, which is a quagmire.  I do try to hold tight and dear to those childhood times when stress was little, as was responsibility.........and elder family members were alive and well.  Those days our machine had our lives revolve around it.  Life was good. 

I think this winter the yet to be gassed fully restored skiroule will make some tracks.
Famous quotes;

Roady; "I just wonder why the big 4 can't produce somnething that remotely ready out of the box"

Myself;  "Even when working properly, the E/S on these cats sounds like a vintage scooby doo lunch box full of hotwheels getting tossed down a flight of concrete stairs."

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
I'm really torn on how far to take this vintage Nordic 640ESR. Got a repaired gas tank, new battery and found a NOS rear bumper for it - all are ready to go on. It's still in storage...which is good. My biggest problem is I like working on them more than I like keeping them - which is why I'm thinking of short cutting the process and cutting this loose after I get it running good and before any heavy duty cosmetic work.

The only vintage sleds I've kept for any length of time were front engined sleds that handle better. Most of these old Ski-Doo's with the tunnel mount motors were terrible handling sleds. I like the handling of the older bubble nosed ones with the black stripe better than the early-mid 70's versions. I've never been impressed with any of the 5 Elans I've had, but never had a hard time selling them.  :blink:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:22:06 AM by Up Late »
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Vintage sleds can be money pits if you let them.  :rolleyes:

I've avoided spending any real money on it.  My contribution of time is becoming significant!

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »
You are trying to perfect your memories by restoring the machine.  Back then, the machines were much newer so we want to remember them they way they were.  I do notice that at times memories can be over-ridden by new memories, which is a quagmire.  I do try to hold tight and dear to those childhood times when stress was little, as was responsibility.........and elder family members were alive and well.  Those days our machine had our lives revolve around it.  Life was good. 

I think this winter the yet to be gassed fully restored skiroule will make some tracks.

Good points.  Plus I love seeing minty restored old sleds.  The dilemma is I want to ride the thing and then it won't stay minty.

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
I'm really torn on how far to take this vintage Nordic 640ESR. Got a repaired gas tank, new battery and found a NOS rear bumper for it - all are ready to go on. It's still in storage...which is good. My biggest problem is I like working on them more than I like keeping them - which is why I'm thinking of short cutting the process and cutting this loose after I get it running good and before any heavy duty cosmetic work.

The only vintage sleds I've kept for any length of time were front engined sleds that handle better. Most of these old Ski-Doo's with the tunnel mount motors were terrible handling sleds. I like the handling of the older bubble nosed ones with the black stripe better than the early-mid 70's versions. I've never been impressed with any of the 5 Elans I've had, but never had a hard time selling them:blink:

If you want to sell Elans.......... Think Lake Superior ice fishing.
They're small enough to pick up and throw into a boat when the wind switches and leaves dumb ice fishermen floating on an ice flow.  :whistle:
LLAP