Author Topic: 2014 Polaris  (Read 9789 times)

Offline cpc

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Polaris
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
 I'm sure the rr600 would be more than competition for the cat 500.  Polaris' thin motor line-up makes a lot of sense in this economy.   The benefit of attempting to operate with low overhead will work for them in the future.   Polaris is producing fantastic sleds and they are sticking to the middle of the market.   Smart move.

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
I'm sure the rr600 would be more than competition for the cat 500.  Polaris' thin motor line-up makes a lot of sense in this economy.   The benefit of attempting to operate with low overhead will work for them in the future.   Polaris is producing fantastic sleds and they are sticking to the middle of the market.   Smart move.

Polaris might be a little too thin on the motor line up - but they probably have the lowest priced 600 in the market, and if lower powered motors only exist to lower the cost, selling more 600's for less is a much better business strategy in this volume challenged sled market.

However, I also think they could replace the 550 fan with a 4-stroke that made about 15-25hp more than the current 550. (did they get that 550 reliable yet?)

Actually, I'm surprised to see fans still in Poo's, Cat's and Doo's line-up. I thought the EPA would have those killed by now. Gotta love loopholes in regs.
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline cpc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
Suzuki might be their only option for four strokes.  It looks like they pulled the 750 from the lineup for next season.  I think that it was available in 2013?

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
I also liked the 550 Indy 144.  Lookin to replace the Freestyle with a more capable sled for the boys.  The Renegade sport 550 looks to have competition.  Goodwrench likes the looks of the Polaris better and digs the 144" track (even tho the 137 doo is the same size).  I figure If I pick up a Polaris I'd have all 4 in the stable.  Workin against the polaris is the fact that I have a bunch of 2012 renegade parts to use on a shorty doo 550fanner........includin a suspension and ripsaw track. 

Offline GroomerDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
A fanner wouldn't scare me in a trail only sled.....but in a long track crossover/mountain'ish sled?  :no2:

Doesn't that scare you guys out there?
I now OFFICIALLY live in northern Wisconsin!

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
I also liked the 550 Indy 144.  Lookin to replace the Freestyle with a more capable sled for the boys.  The Renegade sport 550 looks to have competition.  Goodwrench likes the looks of the Polaris better and digs the 144" track (even tho the 137 doo is the same size).  I figure If I pick up a Polaris I'd have all 4 in the stable.  Workin against the polaris is the fact that I have a bunch of 2012 renegade parts to use on a shorty doo 550fanner........includin a suspension and ripsaw track.
The 144x15 in an uncoupled skid will perform better than a 137x16 coupled sc5 in an off trail situation.  On trail the 137 coupled is prolly better in nasty stuff.  Think of it this way, you might not have to help dig him out as much..  :) 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Suzuki might be their only option for four strokes.  It looks like they pulled the 750 from the lineup for next season.  I think that it was available in 2013?
It's still in their Turbo IQ LX touring sled. That is all.

They have really expanded the 550 offerings. http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/SNO/MY2014/full/brochures/Polaris-Snowmobiles-2014-whole-goods-brochure.pdf
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
The 144x15 in an uncoupled skid will perform better than a 137x16 coupled sc5 in an off trail situation.  On trail the 137 coupled is prolly better in nasty stuff.  Think of it this way, you might not have to help dig him out as much..  :)

SC5M suspension is in the renegade 550 sport. It too is uncoupled.  Rmotion is in the big boy gades

Offline cpc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
That's an insane amount of track for that fanner to spin.

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:40 PM »
i like that 550 indy 144

That 550 Voyager has a 1.38" lug - which they should have put on the 600, instead of a 2".

Maybe they should name the 600 Voyager the 'trail destroyer'. Groomers should call Polaris and complain. :rolleyes:
groomers are the only ones complaining about those tracks, the consumers want them, as would i

My new ride has the 1.25 X 137.
After further evaluation I'm coming to the conclusion that track does LESS damage to a trail IF driven properly, than a shorty.

After witnessing the trenching that Mrs. SNO4ME was doing with the GSX, I'm not sure that I agree!  ;)

Heavy throttle thumbs + rototiller tracks = trashed trails   :thumbdown:

Hmmmmmmmmmm, That was some slippery snow that night but I've only followed her once at a different time this year and she was hard to keep up with. Of course that was pre shock mod.  ;)
LLAP

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »
Piece of cake - just dont expect big top end but good enough for a 11 and 12 year old.  The Polaris actually uses a 1.325 Cobra track (I have a 146x16 1.325 Cobra on the Summit right now) - it is light and rolls around the suspension very easily compared to other tracks.  On the summit with it regeared and reclutched I've hit 113 on the dream meter and just last week 108 on gogebic - nice numbers for a 146 summit that sits over 2 inches higher in the nose then a renegade or adrenaline.   For our purposes with the off trail that Goodwrench prefers a taller lug would be even more preferable.  Gotta toy with numbers before I decide.  If we decide on the Poo i'd spring order so I can get the gripper skis on it - if we decide to go Doo I'll wait and find the best deal on a left over 550 gade or shorty that I can swap over to 137 with the parts on hand.  Even would consider a S36 kit for the front end to narrow it up.  Lots of trees offtrail in Wisconsin.  Other mod in plans is stretchin the 570 to a little longer track - that sled sux off trail and is 100lbs heavier. 

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »
Piece of cake - just dont expect big top end but good enough for a 11 and 12 year old.  The Polaris actually uses a 1.325 Cobra track (I have a 146x16 1.325 Cobra on the Summit right now) - it is light and rolls around the suspension very easily compared to other tracks.  On the summit with it regeared and reclutched I've hit 113 on the dream meter and just last week 108 on gogebic - nice numbers for a 146 summit that sits over 2 inches higher in the nose then a renegade or adrenaline.   For our purposes with the off trail that Goodwrench prefers a taller lug would be even more preferable.  Gotta toy with numbers before I decide.  If we decide on the Poo i'd spring order so I can get the gripper skis on it - if we decide to go Doo I'll wait and find the best deal on a left over 550 gade or shorty that I can swap over to 137 with the parts on hand.  Even would consider a S36 kit for the front end to narrow it up.  Lots of trees offtrail in Wisconsin.  Other mod in plans is stretchin the 570 to a little longer track - that sled sux off trail and is 100lbs heavier.
if I had the coin a 'gade 600ace seems like it would be a top notch kids sled.
You hate your job??  why didn't you say so?? well, there's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »

Acer's still going for big money.
Seems like a proven set up, as I have not heard of any mechanical failures as of yet.

I got to ride one last winter and they had some decent snap. I'd same, similar to the power of a 550 fanner...... but with much better MPG.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:13:44 AM by greekboy »

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

Acer's still going for big money.
Seems like a proven set up, as I have not heard of any mechanical failures as of yet.

I got to ride one last winter and they had some decent snap. I'd same, similar to the power of a 550 fanner...... but with much better MPG.
i'll be the first to admit that the 144 track would pique my interest a bit more and the fact that it is like $2500 less money for the indy 550 144, huge deal when talkin about a kids sled.
You hate your job??  why didn't you say so?? well, there's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Offline cpc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
With my perceived idea of the intended use of the 550 fan, the oddball clutch choice didn't seem like a concern.  Buy a low price point sled and just ride it.  The long track 550 throws a new twist into things.   For my perceived use of the long track it seems like clutch tuning may be important.   Could be a tuning headache.