Author Topic: It's a sad day for 2qik  (Read 3089 times)

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
It's a sad day for 2qik
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »
Rewind back 25 years.  My girlfriend at the time was renting a house with 4 other college students.  The house had a 2 stall garage, the gals used one stall for parking and the other for storage.  I asked them one day if I could park a 1980 arctic jag in the garage as I had no place to store it.  They agreed.  A few weeks later I found a narrow billy goat trail a few blocks from the house that could get me to the groomed trail system.  I would take her snowmobiling 2 up on that old jag and we both got hooked on the sport.  Fast forward 6 years.  We're looking for our first home and we really liked the neighborhood from college days, so we buy a house about a block away from where she rented.  We had a couple 90's skidoos and rode them often, mostly to dinner after work and on weekends for fun, almost always from the garage.  Fast forward 4 years.  We have two young kids and decided it would be nice to have a couple newer sleds and a cutter to take the family, so we buy a couple late 90's cats and a cat cutter.  We pulled those kids all over the local trail system, cutter and all right up the old billy goat trail.  Forward 10 years.  The 2 kids have now passed snowmobile safety and the 3rd is in grade school.  We switch up machines again in favor of 2 early 90's jags the kids can ride safely with the family.  Due to school activities and sports the kids only get out riding a few times this winter, all from home to the local trail.

Fast forward last Friday.  The billy goat trail we have used to access the trail system for 25 years is fenced off with orange snow fence and posted private property.  The trail had been marked with the legal orange diamond for at least 10 years, maybe more.  I find the land is private and the club never had an easement on the access trail.  Not only did it get fenced and posted, the owner dropped several trees across the trail to make sure it would be closed.  There is city owned land nearby for a possible re-route, but for now my days of riding directly from the house are done.  I don't have to trailer far to access the system but I am severely bummed about losing garage access to the system. :'(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:32:18 PM by 2qik »
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
Re: It's a sad day for 2qik
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
Rewind back 25 years.  My girlfriend at the time was renting a house with 4 other college students.  The house had a 2 stall garage, the gals used one stall for parking and the other for storage.  I asked them one day if I could park a 1980 arctic jag in the garage as I had no place to store it.  They agreed.  A few weeks later I found a narrow billy goat trail a few blocks from the house that could get me to the groomed trail system.  I would take her snowmobiling 2 up on that old jag and we both got hooked on the sport.  Fast forward 6 years.  We're looking for our first home and we really liked the neighborhood from college days, so we buy a house about a block away from where she rented.  We had a couple 90's skidoos and rode them often, mostly to dinner after work and on weekends for fun, almost always from the garage.  Fast forward 4 years.  We have two young kids and decided it would be nice to have a couple newer sleds and a cutter to take the family, so we buy a couple late 90's cats and a cat cutter.  We pulled those kids all over the local trail system, cutter and all right up the old billy goat trail.  Forward 10 years.  The 2 kids have now passed snowmobile safety and the 3rd is in grade school.  We switch up machines again in favor of 2 early 90's jags the kids can ride safely with the family.  Due to school activities and sports the kids only get out riding a few times this winter, all from home to the local trail.

Fast forward last Friday.  The billy goat trail we have used to access the trail system for 25 years is fenced off with orange snow fence and posted private property.  The trail had been marked with the legal orange diamond for at least 10 years, maybe more.  I find the land is private and the club never had an easement on the access trail.  Not only did it get fenced and posted, the owner dropped several trees across the trail to make sure it would be closed.  There is city owned land nearby for a possible re-route, but for now my days of riding directly from the house are done.  I don't have to trailer far to access the system but I am severely bummed about losing garage access to the system. :'(

2qik

Some days I've had my doubts about whether or not you are a true snowmobiler the way you let other priorities get in the way, like hockey etc.  :floor:: With that story my faith in your true itches are renewed.  :beer2:

The hockey poke is just my quirk about most sports.  Thank God I didn't have any kids because  the sports part would have been real hard for me.  :beer2:
LLAP

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
First off, did you ever get married ? I mean really, sounds like you've stringed this poor girl along for 20+ years !  :floor:

I have similar issues with kids / sports. Both my kids are in (2) sports each and it takes a tremendous amount of our free time. I'm pretty active in all of it and I do enjoy watching them and coaching them. My own hobbies are always put aside for their activies, but I seem to find the free time to snowmobile. Usually only 5 trips away per season, we typically don't get to ride locally b/c Illinois sucks (for multiple reasons), lack of snow being one of them....  :snow:

I would get yourself a nice aluminum two place trailer and tilt it up on its side for storage. That, or just ride on bare asphalt for 2-3 miles until you can find a way to get the to trail system  :smoke:

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
No way to talk to the guy to get him to maybe reconsider? Something must have pissed him off.
I just rerouted the trail to cross my property a couple years ago so I wouldn't have to ride any ditches to get to it.   :thumbsupsmileyanim:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
Sno4me - My son's Bantam AA team made it to the Minnesota State tournament this year.  That means hockey season won't end until the weekend of March 15th.  Then consider I have 2 daughters in dance and spring is the "competition season".  I could have bought a new sled every winter for the last 15 years for the cash we have spent on kids activities, but I wouldn't trade a minute of that time for a snowmobile.  I've always found time to ride and groom while still attending their events.

Greek - Dated her for 6 years been married for nearly 20.  I've always had a 2 place trailer as I do trailer for ice fishing and the occasional trip away, but even so it is so nice to just pull the rope and go.  Once you've lived that lifestyle anything else is unacceptable.

Howie - I thought about trying to contact him, but the way he closed it you can tell he is serious.  Nobody is getting down that trail without a chainsaw at this point.  Word on the street is he wants to sell the land and doesn't want a trail on it.  So we need to wait to find out if the new owner will grant an easement, or build a re-route next fall on nearby city land.  If we have to re-route it will be difficult to reach that access due to the hillside and the neighborhood.  The current access is at an ideal location which will be difficult to re-route. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by 2qik »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »
Most people are aware of the legal responsibilities of homeownership. By letting someone onto your property you assume some responsibilities, like it or not. I don't agree with it, but than again, I'm not the sort that would sue a property owner if something went bad.

It's a shame to watch our memories vanish in front of us, just from the stupidity of others - ruining all of our freedoms.

Offline AdrenalineJunky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
I feel ya.  Many people suck.  I lost all my connector trails over the the years around my "still in" childhood home.  I am now confined to my 2 acres, and a small field sized about 2 football field........and I dont ride in there long as complaints will arise.  My area here used to be very country like setting with avg property size 2~4 acre w/farms.  I had trails that led to all main routes and connected to go anywhere in state! Then the developers came in, one in particular....he was the block builder.  100's of homes within 1 mile rad, all on .25 acre or less lots.  Our townhall officials sure got their palms greased frrom this guy.  Depsite many many residents who tried to stop it, it went through and all our home values shot down due to older houses(moslty ranches/farm houses) in now semi-congested field of modern colonials.  Pure bullsh!t.   :ranting:
Famous quotes;

Roady; "I just wonder why the big 4 can't produce somnething that remotely ready out of the box"

Myself;  "Even when working properly, the E/S on these cats sounds like a vintage scooby doo lunch box full of hotwheels getting tossed down a flight of concrete stairs."

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
I feel ya.  Many people suck.  I lost all my connector trails over the the years around my "still in" childhood home.  I am now confined to my 2 acres, and a small field sized about 2 football field........and I dont ride in there long as complaints will arise.  My area here used to be very country like setting with avg property size 2~4 acre w/farms.  I had trails that led to all main routes and connected to go anywhere in state! Then the developers came in, one in particular....he was the block builder.  100's of homes within 1 mile rad, all on .25 acre or less lots.  Our townhall officials sure got their palms greased frrom this guy.  Depsite many many residents who tried to stop it, it went through and all our home values shot down due to older houses(moslty ranches/farm houses) in now semi-congested field of modern colonials.  Pure bullsh!t.   :ranting:

The trip from our house to the trail was simply crossing a street, following a snow covered ally for a block, crossing another street, riding a block of vacant land along the street, cross a road, then into the woods and up the billy goat trail to the groomed trail.  Total distance less than a 1/2 mile.

Over the years things devoloped on the block of vacant land including construction of roughly 7 houses and a church.  I know some of those who built the new houses probably didn't like snowmobiles riding past but that block had been used by snowmobilers for years right up to the trail closing last week.  Progress may have finally caught up to us.  It's about a mile to the nearest trailhead if I have to trailer.

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
Just one of the dozens of reasons why I'm completely convinced that there's too many people in the world now.

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »

The trip from our house to the trail was simply crossing a street, following a snow covered ally for a block, crossing another street, riding a block of vacant land along the street, cross a road, then into the woods and up the billy goat trail to the groomed trail.  Total distance less than a 1/2 mile.

Over the years things devoloped on the block of vacant land including construction of roughly 7 houses and a church.  I know some of those who built the new houses probably didn't like snowmobiles riding past but that block had been used by snowmobilers for years right up to the trail closing last week.  Progress may have finally caught up to us.  It's about a mile to the nearest trailhead if I have to trailer.

That happened to us too. Between the local indian tribe buying land and other development, we are now land locked. We also used to be able to ride from the garage and now we have to trailer south about a couple of miles. It might not seem like much, but it is a huge inconvenience - especially if you only have time for a short ride.
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »

I would just run the blacktop and call it a day.  B)

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
Not sure of your laws there but here in FIBland any landowner that gives permission for the state snowmobile trail system to cross their property is protected by law and released of any liability. What I have seen many times is that most landowners have no idea this law exists. Once it is shown and explained to them many reconsider. Of course anyone can be taken to court. Our trail insurance also covers the landowners and will defend them if need be. The person must prove that the landowner purposely caused their accident by willful intent. Right now your landowner may be more liable than before since he cut those trees. If someone were to get onto that trail and be hurt by the cut trees he could probably sue. All trails are on Private Property around here. Many have those signs up. An orange snow fence is just that, a snow fence. He should have no snowmobiles allowed signs or something specific. You may want to mention something like that to him and maybe provide some no snowmobile signs to him. Try to get on his good side. Just as fast as he turned around this year he can turn again.
Many towns down here also have snow routes along specific streets to get to trails. Maybe another option with your City powers at be.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
Many towns down here also have snow routes along specific streets to get to trails. Maybe another option with your City powers at be.

Up north all "side streets" are legal routes to the trail, but to reach the trail by road in this situation is not a good option due to the geography of this area.

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »
Total distance less than a 1/2 mile.

I would just run the blacktop and call it a day.  B)

That's by trail.  No good route to connect by blacktop due to the geography of the area.  Thus the term "billy goat path".

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Not sure of your laws there but here in FIBland any landowner that gives permission for the state snowmobile trail system to cross their property is protected by law and released of any liability. What I have seen many times is that most landowners have no idea this law exists. Once it is shown and explained to them many reconsider. Of course anyone can be taken to court. Our trail insurance also covers the landowners and will defend them if need be. The person must prove that the landowner purposely caused their accident by willful intent. Right now your landowner may be more liable than before since he cut those trees. If someone were to get onto that trail and be hurt by the cut trees he could probably sue. All trails are on Private Property around here. Many have those signs up. An orange snow fence is just that, a snow fence. He should have no snowmobiles allowed signs or something specific. You may want to mention something like that to him and maybe provide some no snowmobile signs to him. Try to get on his good side. Just as fast as he turned around this year he can turn again.

Howie, Wisconsin's Berry Picker law is similar in many ways but it doesn't have to be a state/county trail.
Real similar on the liability of closing something off improperly also.
LLAP