Author Topic: 20 days left  (Read 8877 times)

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
Re: 20 days left
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
the bill that passed is different that the one I wrote that quote about.  it passed both house and senate on friday.  not perfect, but workable.  far better than the nightmare that would have been constitutional carrry.

Why do you give up and accept lame stream ideology so easily?
I don't.  why do you bring such pitiful arguments to this??  this is FAR better than that POS bill in NYS, sure its not perfect, but it is workable.  $30/yr for CCW?  bfd.  2 saturdays at the range shooting and getting your "cert"?  bfd.  you make this sound like its a bataan death march just to get your CCW, which you already technically have with your foid.  so what you can't carry at a bank or public park?  like i said, not perfect, but workable.  any sane person would agree this is FAR better than what we previously had and still better than most other liberal leaning states like CA or NY.  with constitutional carry we would have had 220 different laws in the state of IL alone about CCW, you could drive across your county, pass thru a dui checkpoint and get popped for unlawful carry cuz your town's laws don't line up with the next town over.  it would have been a nightmare for the average joe carrier. at least it is consistent across the state and is a SHALL ISSUE instead of MAY ISSUE like several other southern gun friendly states.  if you can legally buy a gun in IL you can legally carry. 
You hate your job??  why didn't you say so?? well, there's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
IL house voted down Quinn's amendments a bit ago, up to the IL Senate now.
You hate your job??  why didn't you say so?? well, there's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
IL house voted down Quinn's amendments a bit ago, up to the IL Senate now.
Senate voted to override Quinn as well.

Democratic Governor Pat Quinn had objected to major parts of the concealed carry proposal. But both chambers of the state legislature voted on Tuesday to override his veto, allowing concealed carry to become the law.

Illinois Allows Carrying Concealed Guns
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »
now they need to noodle out any reciprocity.  this state is so fecking arrogant though I highly doubt there will be any.

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
There's a lot of other goodies in this public act. For instance you can now FOID carry everywhere but government buildings.

This had to be a significant amount of butt hurt for the CPD to release this.

http://directives.chicagopolice.org/directives/data/a7a57bf0-13fc5603-92613-fc59-b4c8c0aba767ee8c.html?hl=true

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
I read the class requirements for this the other day.  so easy its ridiculous.  the live fire test is 10rds at 5m, 10rds at 7m and 10rds at 10m.  on a standard silhouette target you must hit 70%.   :laugh-til-cry: :laugh-til-cry:

at those distances I could put 10rds in my hand and throw them at the target at once and hit more than 70%   :laugh-til-cry: :laugh-til-cry:

edit -

-  The Illinois concealed carry training will require a 16 hour course, this includes range certification.
  -  Some previous classes will be accepted up to a maximum of 8hrs toward the 16 hours required.
  -  Active or honorably dismissed military will pass for 8 hours of the 16 hours required.
  -  In order to pass the range certification, you must hit the silhouette portion of a B27 target with 70% of 30 rounds from 5 yards, 7 yards and 10 yards.

$250 for course (which includes your application fee to the state of IL for the CCL) and a $25 range fee.  total of $275, valid for 5 yrs if I'm reading correctly

edit 2 - Ex-Military only require an 8hr class, so $125 + range fee to get your CCL
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:52:03 PM by tony b »

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
I believe Hunter Education course counts toward the 16hr training requirement as well.

My 13 year old earlier this year picked up my .45 and shot it himself the first time he ever shot a handgun. He was a little nervous at first and anticipating recoil he would drive the gun forward causing him to shoot low and limp wristed which FTE a few rounds. A range instructor happened by and gave him a 5 minute lesson, his next 13 shots at 10m all hit the silhouette.

We're going to the range tomorrow, buddy has a new Beowulf I'm excited to try.

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
my youngest boy shot my dad's 357 S&W last summer (he was 7 at the time), loaded up with .38spec and he handled it quite well, the 686+ is kinda heavy for a handgun so recoil was minimial imho, slightly less than the typical 9mm auto.

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Well, there's at least ONE opinion columnist in Chicago who gets it.....

Steve Chapman - Gun Permit's Don't Make Gun Violence

A few excerpts from the article...

Its exceptionally rare for a previously law-abiding person to take a legally purchased firearm, load it, walk out the door and shoot someone. But thats the specter that dominates the mind of Quinn when the subject of concealed-carry comes up. It also preoccupies Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

The problem of gun violence in the city, though, is a problem of violence committed by criminals and juveniles who are not allowed to own guns, much less carry them in public. To worry about legal permit holders in that context is like fretting that you may have left a faucet running as you try to escape a flood.

Chicago Democrats act as though this is either a) a surefire formula for more bloodshed or b) a reckless leap into the unknown. Its neither. In recent years, we have accumulated a wealth of evidence about what happens when a state establishes a shall-issue system under which qualified citizens may pack pistols.

The number of licensees who make lethal misuse of their guns, likewise, is a microscopic percentage of the estimated 6 million people who are authorized to carry. The overwhelming majority behave in a responsible, lawful way. The people behind the epidemic of violent crime in Chicago, by contrast, dont bother with permits and wouldnt qualify for them.

For this group, the new law is irrelevant. Politicians who use the ongoing slaughter as a reason to oppose it only confirm that when it comes to governments most important function, they havent got a clue.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Seems this shooter was a responsible gun owner who had a lot of range time.

Someone fired a gun 17 times toward a man and hit him once in the Bronzeville neighborhood overnight, according to authorities.

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »
Well, there's at least ONE opinion columnist in Chicago who gets it.....

Folks like Quiff, Tiny Dancer the Fingerless Wonder or KKKwame Raoul and others actually believe that gang banging thugs wouldn't exist if there were no guns. The new theme is to paint all the creepy-ass-cracker suburbanites as "advantaged" because they didn't earn their felony merit badge before they became teenagers allowing the crackers to procure all the firearms. As a result, the crackers obviously are the ones supplying guns to Chitcago thugs.

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
yay!!!  more gun law fun.

they'll NEVER confiscate your guns, right???

A new Cook County Sheriffs team is crisscrossing the suburbs to seize guns from thousands of people whose Firearm Owners Identification Cards have been revoked.  More than 3,000 people in Cook County have failed to surrender their revoked FOID cards to the state. Sheriff Tom Dart said he thinks many of them continue to possess firearms.

The sheriff said the bigger problem is that most revoked FOID card holders continue to possess guns. Dart said he persuaded the General Assembly to include new language in the FOID law that would allow sheriffs and municipal police to obtain search warrants to look for guns in the homes of people with revoked FOID cards. Dart called the provision a hammer for police to wield when investigators suspect people with revoked cards have guns but the people insist they dont.

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »
Been going on in CA for some time, Dart obviously got the idea from CA.

What is interesting about Dart's objective, there's little data on just how many folks have simply allowed their FOID to lapse. State law says an expired FOID holder has a 6 month grace period for renewal, but cannot buy ammunition or further gun purchases during the expired period.

However as much as I hate to, I generally agree with Dart's objective. If criminal or mental status revokes someones FOID, the card must be turned over and all weapons they posses as well. BUT, that person should be allowed to transfer the firearms before they are confiscated, or at the very least be allowed to transfer them after confiscation. Just because someone is felony DUI or mentally unstable doesn't mean the state has a right to confiscate financial assets (outside of fines for said crime) and I believe it may be argued that guns/ammo are in fact investments.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
Been going on in CA for some time, Dart obviously got the idea from CA.

What is interesting about Dart's objective, there's little data on just how many folks have simply allowed their FOID to lapse. State law says an expired FOID holder has a 6 month grace period for renewal, but cannot buy ammunition or further gun purchases during the expired period.

However as much as I hate to, I generally agree with Dart's objective. If criminal or mental status revokes someones FOID, the card must be turned over and all weapons they posses as well. BUT, that person should be allowed to transfer the firearms before they are confiscated, or at the very least be allowed to transfer them after confiscation. Just because someone is felony DUI or mentally unstable doesn't mean the state has a right to confiscate financial assets (outside of fines for said crime) and I believe it may be argued that guns/ammo are in fact investments.

Investments.... I like the way you think....   :mf_gap:
 :floor:

The whole reason to have a FOID card is to check mental status and crime status. If you pose risk, you're not supposed to be able to buy / sell / trade guns or ammo.  I also do NOT agree with taking them, you should be able to sell them or give them to family members, etc. Once your status is back in good grace, you should be allowed to take possession of your stuff again...

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
For mental illness, the statute is pretty high to get a FOID revoked:

The police also check an Illinois Department of Human Services database, to disqualify any applicant who has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or who has been a patient of a mental institution within the last five years.[3] Mental health professionals are required to inform state authorities about patients who display violent, suicidal or threatening behavior, for inclusion in the Human Services database.[4] The police may also check other sources of information. There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.[5]

You basically have to be deemed a threat by the state, you average run of the mill sociopath/psychopath usually flies under the radar because of medical privacy laws.  But, hey, the gun grabbers don't want to talk about that stuff.  People that are sane, law abiding, etc should not have access to guns, if we just take all the guns away, all of society's problems go away.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "