Author Topic: Called it.  (Read 1717 times)

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
Called it.
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
150 miles Saturday.  We rode 9 times this winter...all Saturday's.  1400 miles for season.  Riding did not start till mid jan.  Still lots of snow but grooming has essentially stopped and trail connectors here and there are becoming victims of the very hot late march sun.  We have had some rain come through and warm temps with sun predicted for this week will surely take toll on the snow conditions.  Might have been able to squeak out a couple more rides especially via trailer but those days are behind me.
011 F-8 has completed its 4th season.  Zero trouble but for the annoying electric starter that requires constant attention ala clean & lube.  150+ mile range regularly on premium.  Consumption of spectro has been conservative.  Still on original belt.
Damn good sled.   Gonna be a long cold wet spring.   :bye1:
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
Re: Called it.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
They're still reporting primo conditions up in Denny's neck of the woods-- just a short trip up the two-lane for you......

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
 :nana:
We have blizzard and winter storm warnings in northern MN today and our trails close tomorrow. I drained all the fuel out of sled and cleaned out the carps already. Hopefully no fouled carps next winter. I went out about five times last winter and put on about 100 miles.
Hal

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
I caught a foul carp once - threw it on the shore to die and be fly food

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
The wife and I put 4500 miles on between us.
I can't document it but I'm guessing I put on about 70-75% of that so.............maybe 3200.  :shrug:

Did I ever say this winter was so bloody cold! At the Duluth Airport (25 miles away) it was the coldest winter in 139 years.
We reset the record for the most days with a temp below 0.

We started riding - grooming on December 2nd and the groomers went in Friday.
A bunch of us groomer drivers rode 30+ miles out to our warming shack almost every Tuesday from January on through last Tuesday. I think we only missed a couple Tuesdays.

I didn't ride this weekend but I talked to several who rode Saturday and said if they could stay away from the road routes it was as good as it gets.

It's rained most of today and it's supposed to change to snow late tonight. Due to landowner agreements we head out tomorrow morning to close gates even though we won't be able to close some of them because the snow is too deep.   :'( :blink:

Personally for me it wasn't a great winter for a variety of reasons.  But there was hardly a day from December 1st until today that I couldn't have snuck out for a ride. (well some days I would have turned into a Popsicle).  The latter half of the winter we had 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. Today is like the second or third day that we had any significant rain. Until lately we only had one small melt down for a day or two.

All in all, it was a good one. One of the longest continuous snowmobile winters in my memory. I'll give it a thumbs up. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh yeh, it WAS a good winter. the sleds ran near flawless all winter.  Aside from oil changes, grease, belt drop and such I think the only thing I did was change the carbides on the doo.

The doo is at 4950 and the Z1 is about 12,500.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:31:51 PM by SNO4ME »
LLAP

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
The wife and I put 4500 miles on between us.
I can't document it but I'm guessing I put on about 70-75% of that so.............maybe 3200.  :shrug:

Did I ever say this winter was so bloody cold! At the Duluth Airport (25 miles away) it was the coldest winter in 139 years.
We reset the record for the most days with a temp below 0.

We started riding - grooming on December 2nd and the groomers went in Friday.
A bunch of us groomer drivers rode 30+ miles out to our warming shack almost every Tuesday from January on through last Tuesday. I think we only missed a couple Tuesdays.
That is why everybody needs an editor.

I didn't ride this weekend but I talked to several who rode Saturday and said if they could stay away from the road routes it was as good as it gets.

It's rained most of today and it's supposed to change to snow late tonight. Due to landowner agreements we head out tomorrow morning to close gates even though we won't be able to close some of them because the snow is too deep.   :'( :blink:

Personally for me it wasn't a great winter for a variety of reasons.  But there was hardly a day from December 1st until today that I couldn't have snuck out for a ride. (well some days I would have turned into a Popsicle).  The latter half of the winter we had 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. Today is like the second or third day that we had any significant rain. Until lately we only had one small melt down for a day or two.

All in all, it was a good one. One of the longest continuous snowmobile winters in my memory. I'll give it a thumbs up. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh yeh, it WAS a good winter. the sleds ran near flawless all winter.  Aside from oil changes, grease, belt drop and such I think the only thing I did was change the carbides on the doo.

The doo is at 4950 and the Z1 is about 12,500.
Hal

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gobigparts.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
I like spring riding. The days are longer and the Sun is a nice welcome. It has been an outstanding winter for us. I left my sled in the U.P. so I can go up and get a few more rides in.