Author Topic: Love my dealer and warranty  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gobigparts.com/
Love my dealer and warranty
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
Love having my warranty. I have one more year left on it. My sled ran great all year. But there were a couple of times it started hard and pulled over hard.

I brought it in. Mentioned a few issues seeing how it is under warranty. I noticed some minor slop and some of the steering components and a slight leak in chain case. I brought it in Monday on my lunch hour. I told them that I may be going to the U.P. Thursday afternoon so just get done what you can I can bring it back after my trip.

Here is what they did.

Overnighted all of the parts

2 Chaincase seals
1 axle ball bearing
1 gasket chain case cover
1 bearing
1 O-ring
1 bearing ball
2 magnetic plugs

Motor
1 Harness injectors
2 bushings rubber
2 reed valve assemblies
4 engine mounts
1 drive clutch spring

Steering
6 bushings steering post
1 pitman arm asm
1 tie rod boot asm RH
1 tie rod boot asm LH

Looks like the total was $1010.95 and I didn't pay anything. Picked it up this afternoon. Ready to ride it this weekend.

Remember at the end of the season last year they did and entire top end under warranty.

I think it is a good idea to snow check to take advantage of the extra warranties they bundle in. For this reason alone I will be snow checking my next sled. As a matter of fact every new sled I have ever purchased was snow checked.

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
Re: Love my dealer and warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
why all the parts....WTF have you done to that thing?  That off trail stuff tough on the poo or what?
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
why all the parts....WTF have you done to that thing?  That off trail stuff tough on the poo or what?

It is a different kind of rough on things. With trail riding the suspension takes more of a beating. With off trail riding it is a number of things but the steering post takes a lot of abuse. You are always pulling the post to the side to set up a carve or to get it unstuck or to climb back on when you bite it on a side hill or bounce off a stump.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCh59r-1RyQ

Really nothing was really that bad but knowing it is under warranty myself and the dealer are being extra picky. I checked some of the bearings in the wheels and what not and didn't find anything worth replacing. They replaced some. Some of the issues may have been self induced. I wasn't even going to take it in until I was done for the season but noticed my seal on my chain case had a small leak when I had the sled on its side. I think I know what it from.

Injectors, well it is a CFI. I told them it acted like it hydro locked a couple of times after it sat. I had all I could do to turn it over but it started eventually and ran great. Same with the reeds I'm guessing.

Steering boots. Well those must be junk because I did notice a tear in each one earlier this year.

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
At a grand for parts with a shopping list like that I think I would trade it for a doo, a Cat, a rice grinder, anything!  :floor:

A good dealer is a good deal.   :beer2:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:36:53 PM by SNO4ME »
LLAP

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
At a grand for parts with a shopping list like that I think I would trade it for a doo, a Cat, a rice grinder, anything!  :floor:

X2
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »

I'm thinking a Boa Ski next time. I don't give a crap what the parts and labor bill was. Free when you get a 4 year bumper to bumper. Doesn't matter what kind of warranty you get if you dealer doesn't honor it.

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »
That's why they cost $10-$15K now days. To cover the warranty parts and labor.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
That's why they cost $10-$15K now days. To cover the warranty parts and labor.

Kinda what I was think'n.
LLAP

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
That isn't the case on most dealers. They typically only do the bare minimum. However, every so often you find a decent one that either really looks out for their customers, or are slow and just pad up the claim. Parts are free from Polaris, but the dealer still gets paid to install them. The more parts they order, the more money Polaris pays them.

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:34 AM »
That isn't the case on most dealers. They typically only do the bare minimum. However, every so often you find a decent one that either really looks out for their customers, or are slow and just pad up the claim. Parts are free from Polaris, but the dealer still gets paid to install them. The more parts they order, the more money Polaris pays them.

I think in this case an aftermarket company ownes the warranty after the 1 year factory warranty from polaris. The dealer gets paid for parts and service from the warranty. The only stipulation is the dealer has to docuement everything and even sometimes provide pictures like they did for my top end before the warranty company gives the green light. Either way I was well taken care of. Heck, the way my sled ran and rode I would have only done a chain case seal.

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Any dealer can sell you a snowmobile.  What separates one from another is the service and the quality of work.  The saying goes "You can have it right or you can have it right now..."

Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »

I think in this case an aftermarket company ownes the warranty after the 1 year factory warranty from polaris. The dealer gets paid for parts and service from the warranty. The only stipulation is the dealer has to docuement everything and even sometimes provide pictures like they did for my top end before the warranty company gives the green light. Either way I was well taken care of. Heck, the way my sled ran and rode I would have only done a chain case seal.

In most cases, Polaris (or any mnfr) will ask for the warranty parts back to inspect them. If they get 1,200 clutch springs back (for example)- I guess they redesign them or find a different supplier to make them. Its all part of the build process. That's why I tend to purchase a machine after 2-3 years of refinements are made to new chassis. 

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
Yup, the factory warranty is only 1 year, the extended is handled for poo by an aftermarket company.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Might help that it sez gobig parts all over the sled and randy's gettin known.  Wouldnt look good if he switched brands cuzz they hosed him.  Good for you randy.  You've spoken well of polaris so they awt to return the faith

Offline Paul_Aris

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Love my dealer and warranty
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
Might help that it sez gobig parts all over the sled and randy's gettin known.  Wouldnt look good if he switched brands cuzz they hosed him.  Good for you randy.  You've spoken well of polaris so they awt to return the faith

On the way to the UP right now to flog the heck out of that thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk