Author Topic: lookey what i found  (Read 2113 times)

Offline snopork

• View Profile
lookey what i found
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
Last year the 2006 GTX500SS   started to backfire on every once in a while. Figured the carbs probly needed tendin to. This sled has been put up a tree, crashed and had the nun replaced once and kind of been abused.  It was bought new by my parents and put out there as an extra sled to have around and used by my siblings and their kids.  Its got 4500 miles on it and the primary was sticking pretty good last year and I figgered to clean it and install a overhaul kit.  The rollers were all dirty and sticking real bad.  Did the work and reinstalled all.  Noticed the clutch side bearing seal was all greased up so now lookin in to replacing that and I figured the carbs were gettin to the point of needing to be cleaned.  Kind of forgot about it and knew I had to service the clutches.  Put the clutches back on and started it after noticing that when I first started it up it was backfiring more than usual and even set off the check engine light - chalked it up to a needed carb job.  Checked to see if the engine went into reverse - it did just fine but needed the choke half way to keep a consistent idle - again, all in line with dirty idle jets.  So pulled the carbs today and dissasembled and cleaned - no residue like racerdave had (he must use mineral rich gas) matter of fact the carbs looked pretty good.  Cleaned them all the same.  decided to take a look at the reeds and boots since i was that far and lo and behold I may have discovered a potentially fatal engine malady.....rotten carb boots.   heard about em but never seen one - guessin its something like this.  corner between the screws is rotted and the solid plastic underneath the rubber is broke up lettin the corner lift up.   wonder if this is the source of the backfiring.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Re: lookey what i found
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
More and more common these days. Air leaking past will contribute to /cause that back fire.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
Yep that will do it as air leaks by it runs lean and causes the backfire.  Have replaced a number of them on friends sleds the past couple of seasons.  One thing to look at is the Boysen rad cages.  They are only a little bit more and a should not have this happen again.  The replacement parts form Doo are not any better than the ones installed at the factory, and we had a set that failed again within a year.
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
The reeds dont look removable on the 500SS - looks like they are built into the case.   

Offline tony b

• These go to Eleven!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
I think marc and charlie both had the boots delaminate on their 500ss motors.  marc may have had to replace them twice, can't remember.
You hate your job??  why didn't you say so?? well, there's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
I got a set of Vforce 2 and the boots that are good(boots won't fit the xp).  Lemme know if you want them.  I also have a spare used set of reeds for the VF.  I never had a problem with the VF reeds and they performed excellent even on a stock motor.  I had the VF2's since I had my zx chassis. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
Boysen makes a nice $300 kit for that motor  :rolleyes:

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
got a set of V force 2's that I will part with..They are good, with a spare set of used reeds in good condition.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "