Author Topic: Sort of snowmobiling related... End of an era...  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
Sort of snowmobiling related... End of an era...
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
Well the time has come to move on...
Some of you know that at the end of last season we sold Lynn's Dragon. Just before Christmas I sold my Rage and the trailer as a package.

Tomorrow we make settlement on the sale of the "Phantom Encampment" (as Andy called it)
It is sort of bittersweet in the fact that I built the camp myself and drove most every nail, lag and screw with my own hands... it was a very satisfying experience that I would not give up for the world but interests have changed...

Our love now (as it always has been for me) is motorcycles and being in South Jersey means a 10-12 month season and riding from our driveway which really makes more sense all the way around. Once Lynn took up riding the deal was pretty much sealed as she is not only my favorite riding partner and friend but my wife. It was just a matter of time until she was ready to venture out to experience new places on the bike and the time has come.

Selling the cabin will allow us to travel to new and different places for our vacations instead of being tied to one place although that place was pretty much ideal for our interests at the time.

It has been a good 15 + year run and we have made many great friends both up at the cabin and on line in the various forums. I started on TC.com back in 1995 when Karin owned the site and still frequent it much to everyone's dismay. I will still be popping in and checking up on everyone but snowmobiling is over for us except for the fond memories.

BTW I don't know is anyone remembers Wally who was instrumental in getting Witchway to get on TC back then which resulted in Roady, Moondisc, Maddog and others in New York on board but Wally passed just last week. He and his family are in out thoughts and prayers...

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline PRO-X 600

• Is lost & confused :(
    • View Profile
Re: Sort of snowmobiling related... End of an era...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
Yeah, I think this is happening more and more..I sold my pro-x back in Oct and I wont say never but I have hard time seeing me buying another sled w/in the next several yrs if not longer. I like the idea of a bike but I dont know if I trust the rest of the motoring public..
Being a young buck its more of a changing of the times from carefree 20 something to a 30 something incurring more adult responsibilities. I've had my house for the last 6 yrs and general upkeep, bills, mortgage, work requirements and weather only seemed to leave me with  at best roughly a week's worth of time/money to ride in a season.
My hope is to be able to get setup where I can just take a good 6-8day trip every other yr to a destination, rent a sled and just ride.  No wrenching,no ins/reg, no trailering etc.. I dont know, will see..
Best of luck in the future, I rode by your place a few times and I loved it simply for the fact that it was a log cabin. :beer2:
Bummer on Wally, didnt know but remember his posts... :(
03 Pro-XR w/a 02 pro-x600 engine, C&A trail skis,1.5" Camo Intense, PERC, V-force 3, 11"chrome shield..SOLD
Want IQ of some sort but $$!
07 2500HD EC SB 4x4 DURAMAX/Ally, some 285's, some exhaust and other meaning less stuff...

Offline countryboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:02:13 AM »
Wow, about Wally, rode atv a couple times with him. Did he still have the camp up by you Wayne?

Happy your off on a new adventure but will miss the sled/tug pictures and your thoughts on the sport.

Make sure to post Bike vacation trips on your FB so we can check though out.
some Beach, Some where??!!

'02 Pro X 440 BMW
'07 Dragon 700 stretched

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:05:23 AM »
Yes They still have the camp I don't know what will happen with the it I'm sure Keith the oldest son has an interest in it but you never know.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
It's understandable for those who travel hours to ride or maintain a place "up north" that the cost in low snow years makes it tough to justify.  I jumped into vintage around 2010 and no longer own any modern machines.  In MN / WI vintage rides are plentiful nearly every weekend December - March.  A vintage sled gets it done for a local trail ride to the tavern, a snow day run, or a day of ice fishing.  Then jump into vintage grass drags each fall and now you're in the game August - April.  The 78' El Tigre is my work horse most weekends.

Recently I'm missing the long mile days out with friends exploring the north woods.  I thought I could fill that void with a classic 93' T-cat but it only partially does the job.  It's great on a "100 miler" but I haven't been on a 300-600 mile weekend in over 5 years.  I'm considering new iron this fall.

Nothing compares to snowmobiling so I know you'll be back on the seat eventually.   :snow:

- 2qik
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »
Owning snowmobiles goes against all logical thoughts. It's the worst return on investment that there is (as far as frequency of use goes). Factor in holidays, family commitments, hunting seasons,  travel sports, etc. This particular year has been the worst snow year I have ever experienced in upper MI since owning my cabin for 8 years. I had (2) rides in this year with minimal miles / hours of use. Hardly worth the cost of ownership, maintenance, insurance, trail stickers and all the additional costs associated with a 2nd home. Not even touching the whole truck & trailer costs needed for most people.

The smartest people leave. I don't blame them at all. I've kicked it around more than once or twice or even 10 times.

For me, it's just something to look forward to. I put away the bass boat and the Harley and I start thinking about winter.  I enjoy hanging out with that group of guys (mostly my old college room mates and many of my closest friends). It's just fun to be out and get out of the house (away from work mostly). Now my two sons are getting into it, and we're spending some family time up there too. It's all good. I have 4 older machines, 2 trailers and a paid off cabin. The cost of ownership isn't all that much. This year I only purchased 2 trail stickers and didn't even fire up 2 machines at all. 

Just because you leave now, doesn't mean you can't ever return to it.

Offline Flying MXZ

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Sorry to hear about your sale, and especially about Wally.  It's getting harder and harder for me to get away to ride with my kids getting older and into travel baseball/basketball/gymnastics.  Rode a total of 2 days this past winter on a brand new sled.  Partially due to the crappy winter but even when the Tug had good snow I was too busy to get up there.  Think you'll still get up there to ride bikes sometimes?

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:08:04 PM »
Does that mean the Lewis County Sheriffs Department won't be looking for me anymore?

If you find yourself heading to/thru the Northern Illinois area let us know - I'm sure a few of us could arrange a rendezvous.  If your finding yourself up in the far north of Wisconsin let me know - I got a little place with a garage peein distance from the water that your welcome to borrow.  I owe ya at least a good stay there.

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »
Yeah Jim we'll get up there once in a while with the bikes probably not this season though. Lynn wants to go back to see the Black River Stages again and this is in September I think. I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for dinner or lunch.

Andy I really appreciate the offer and may take you up on it in a few years. It would be good to meet the mid-west people.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
For me, I would give up Motorcycles before sleds. 1 good sled ride beats a summer of biking. But to each his own. Good luck to you Phantom.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
I could give up my boat, atv's, harley and even my sleds. But don't touch my hookers and beer hobby  :beer2:

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »
Sorry to hear that Phantom, and especially about Wally. I don't believe we ever met in person, although the few TC/Witchwey events I attended are a little blurry...
I actually got together with Moonie through that site back in the late '90s, after finding out he was involved in our local club, and he got me into that side of the sport. As I type, I'm realizing I got onto TC over 20 years ago... :eek: (The Sterner Period was a little sketchy) Where the hell does time go?!! But I digress.
Like this site and others before it, I think snowmobiling's days are numbered. Too much money for too little use, and too many other down sides. There's nothing like it though, and my old sleds still put a smile on my face.
Good luck, enjoy the bikes!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
Yep... The old days of TC.com... Fun for sure! I think I first signed on in 95 or so. No registration back then and everyone had about 10 different alter egos. Many times you could argue with yourself for pages just for fun!

I met Moonie & Roady for the first time at the Great Groomer Gathering. I was Scotty's driver that day~ :rolleyes:

One day at camp a vehicle rolls in and it's Moonie with Wally... first time I met him.

Moonie and Roady at the staging area just outside of Albany...

Scotty holding court...

Scotty holding court again...

On Empire Plaza...

Me and Scott more than a few years ago...

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
My motorcycle season is similar to my snowmobiling season thus far. Well, actually - opposite.... Here we are towards the end of May and most of May has been cold and filled with days and days on end of solid rain. I have less than 500 miles on the Harley since April 1st. Hoping the warm temps start coming and summer starts getting in full swing !

The boat hasn't moved yet either.  :banghead:

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:44:10 AM »
We just did a 550 mile ride last weekend...

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/snodrtrider/new-sweden-450-2016/#.V0QwWpErLD5

Last year we rode 6,000 miles on the bikes.