Author Topic: First ride  (Read 335 times)

Offline Hal

• View Profile
First ride
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »
I went to the Detroit Lakes area to try out my new sled and put on 62 miles. Really love the reverse, high windshield, mirrors and power steering. It was so nice to just have to turn the key and it starts without choking it and pulling a rope till I am blue in the face with my old one started. There was about a foot of snow and trails well groomed. I sledded for two days and didn't see another sled on the trail. Gas prices were nice too. Regular UL was selling for less than $2 per gallon. I can't remember what I paid for premium nonoxgenated for the sled.
Hal

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: First ride
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Very nice Hal ! I got lucky and took a 6 day trip between Christmas and New Years. Typical early season riding, with some water holes, thin snow spots, etc. But I was able to ride approximately 400 miles in the UP of MI. Leaving again this weekend for a 3 day ride and using MLK day for the ride home. I'm enjoying my new machine as well, but this weekend will be a good cold temp test on my SB 600. It doesn't look overly warm just looking at it, so I guess we'll see..... As long as the snow conditions are ok, I can endure the cold.  :wacko:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
I have to go at least 100 miles north to find good snow because of all the rain we had earlier. We had at least an inch of rain and warm weather earlier and melted what snow we did have near me. At least in the Detroit Lakes area I have free accommodations and get a chance to visit with my sister.

I was concerned about getting stuck, but I was cautious and found out that this machine has no problem plowing through a foot of snow. Detroit Lake wasn't much fun to ride on. The fishermen have roads all near the town and the east side had a lot of lake flooding.

Glad to hear you had a great time sledding also. Can't wait to go up again soon or get some snow near me. My sister is going on a trip down south and will be gone for two weeks in February. Fingers crossed.
Hal

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:46:46 PM »
I did 620 in Vilas between New Years day  and Saturday the 12th. 70 on the Indy 600 and 550 on the IndyXC 850. The 850 ROCKS!
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Sounds like you also had a fun trip. The sledders out east should be having some good riding. We have great snow 100 miles north of the twin cities, and tons of snow in the arrowhead region. I hope I can join a group to go riding up there this season.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
Snow has been fairly thin on Tug Hill...
 Although I sold my sleds and cabin I still pop in and check the web cams and reports.

There hasn't been much more than 8-12 inches up there and some trails at lower elevations were still closed earlier this week.
My friends who all sold their sleds a few years ago right after I sold mine got the itch again and bought some used iron.

They are finally up for their first trip this weekend and one buddy says the trails that are open are great.
They are due to get pounded by the storm that is coming from your area on Sunday but the wind chills are supposed to be in the 35 below range and all of them have open helmets with goggles so no fun for them.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline buddah2

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
I finally got my first couple of rides on the new-to-me S/W last week....1 comment...."Hoorrreee SH1T, Batman!!!"......the 98 SRX 700 w/complete Bender setup was really fast...the 03 RX-1 LE was really fast for a big, heavy sled (including the big, heavy rider)....my Viper X-TX was quicker than both of the above after the performance reflash....but this beast is EXPONENTIALLY faster than any and all of them.

I called my buddy who's in the business and told him "find somebody to buy this *ucker before I kill my d*mn fool self"  :mf_w00t2: (And yes, you can replace the 1st "*" with an "S" ) j/k.....needless to say, I be a bit content....
"A man's got to know his limitations....."[/size][/color]

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
I finally got my first couple of rides on the new-to-me S/W last week....1 comment...."Hoorrreee SH1T, Batman!!!"......the 98 SRX 700 w/complete Bender setup was really fast...the 03 RX-1 LE was really fast for a big, heavy sled (including the big, heavy rider)....my Viper X-TX was quicker than both of the above after the performance reflash....but this beast is EXPONENTIALLY faster than any and all of them.

I called my buddy who's in the business and told him "find somebody to buy this *ucker before I kill my d*mn fool self"  :mf_w00t2: (And yes, you can replace the 1st "*" with an "S" ) j/k.....needless to say, I be a bit content....
A buddy of mine had a 98 SRX 700 and that thing was fast right out of the crate and not bad for fuel useage for a smoker. It isn't great through the moguls, but is definitely a great lake racer.
Hal

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »
My new sled has around 600 miles on the clock now, with two trips under my belt. Just returned late last night from the central UP. COLD has hell up there this weekend. +4F was the high and it dipped down the -mid teens at night and early AM. Polaris SB 600 isn't the warmest machine on the planet, I realized. Eventually installing the muffs on my handle bars on Sunday to get the chill out. Even my new Klim gear seemed to be pretty darn cold. Everything was going great at low speeds, but as soon as 50 MPH was reached, the chill factor increased ten fold.

Offline buddah2

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
... Everything was going great at low speeds, but as soon as 50 MPH was reached, the chill factor increased ten fold.

Another excellent point...I'm certainly not a sissy and I do even wear a TekVest but the "windkini" on the Winder has GOT to go....it's way worse, i.e. shorter, than even the one on my Viper....to that end I drove over to Ishpeming today and picked up a brand new medium shield....THAT should do the trick....and with the mirror set to boot....
"A man's got to know his limitations....."[/size][/color]

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »
My new sled has around 600 miles on the clock now, with two trips under my belt. Just returned late last night from the central UP. COLD has hell up there this weekend. +4F was the high and it dipped down the -mid teens at night and early AM. Polaris SB 600 isn't the warmest machine on the planet, I realized. Eventually installing the muffs on my handle bars on Sunday to get the chill out. Even my new Klim gear seemed to be pretty darn cold. Everything was going great at low speeds, but as soon as 50 MPH was reached, the chill factor increased ten fold.

GB, maybe these would help you?

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/windshields/2878723/
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
Everybody must have snow now and are out riding. We got an additional 6 plus inches of fluffy snow yesterday, and now have a total of about a foot now. More on the way next Tuesday.
Hal

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
It's been really slow here ...

I've been on three major rides thus far. Leaving this weekend for another three day weekend ride. I think I'm at around 1,000 miles for the year.

My part of the UP got 18" of new snow last week and is expected to get three more days of snow this week. I should have around a 3 foot base at my cabin.

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »
We have enough snow now that there is plenty to groom. I went across Peltier Lake yesterday and was concerned that I would make it across with the 18" of fluffy snow on top of the slippery ice underneath. I have 195 miles on the new sled so far and a happy sledder.
Hal

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
We have enough snow now that there is plenty to groom. I went across Peltier Lake yesterday and was concerned that I would make it across with the 18" of fluffy snow on top of the slippery ice underneath. I have 195 miles on the new sled so far and a happy sledder.

Very nice !

I was sure we'd all be doomed with new sled purchases (of having a bad snow year) but so far, I've had some pretty decent conditions by me in the UP !
Trip #4 is this weekend  :thumbsupsmileyanim: