Author Topic: Anybody seriously looked into moving west??? Thoughts?  (Read 75 times)

Offline PRO-X 600

• Is lost & confused :(
    • View Profile
Anybody seriously looked into moving west??? Thoughts?
« on: September 22, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Have any of you guys seriously researched moving out west? Id be interested if so what you found, that you liked or dislike... And why you did/didnt pull the trigger in the end...

After recently coming back from my 5th trip(1st in the summer/ non snowmobile related) in 11 yrs to the Teton area, I'm strongly considering a move to the W. WYO/ E. Idaho (about 1hr either side of the border) or perhaps W. Yellowstone/S. Montana area. I'd like to narrow down some areas in each state for the Gf and I to look around at. Im just getting my feet wet on this idea, this is probably 1-2yrs down the rd.
Schools/education are of no concern, no kids and dont want kids.

Im a local cdl A driver, though a move out there I would likely change careers. Probably something in the heavy equipment sector(pay loader/excavator at a gravel pit/ private construction or something) I do have some experience, no interest in the oil fields or on a rd crew however.
She would be looking for something with wildlife. Whether it be at a zoo or working with animals in some capacity (not an officer/game warden/ ranger though)

Im curious on the tax situation in these areas? I know there's no income tax in Wy, but killing time looking at real estate I see 2 million dollar 4500sq ft homes paying less in taxes (5200) than i do for my 160,000 home 1950 sqft (6000ish) Am I missing something here with property taxes? Taxes for houses in our range appear to only be in the 1500-2000/yr. Our housing budget would likely be in the 200-350K range.

Ive been told there is some hefty vehicle tax fees in wy??

What other pro/cons should we be aware of? Coming from NY we are familar to cold/snow though I suspect these areas see more extended periods of extreme cold than we might be use to. We usually get 2-3 days below zero/ single digit highs and 1-2 nights -10/-15 lows per yr.

I appreciate any and all info.
03 Pro-XR w/a 02 pro-x600 engine, C&A trail skis,1.5" Camo Intense, PERC, V-force 3, 11"chrome shield..SOLD
Want IQ of some sort but $$!
07 2500HD EC SB 4x4 DURAMAX/Ally, some 285's, some exhaust and other meaning less stuff...

Offline snopork

• View Profile
Re: Anybody seriously looked into moving west??? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
well,  having a population of about 1 million people in the entire state they probally dont have a lot of freeloaders to pay for - unlike big metropolitan states with large cities and entire nieghborhoods sucking up tax payer money without paying any taxes- that probably helps.
I think the Chicago Metro area has at least 1 million people on welfare and food stamps.  Illinois should probably just buy Montana - call it West Illinois, sell Cook County to China and call it Montana.   

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
New York is about the worst in Property Taxes vs what you get in return closely followed by New Jersey.

Moving out West that far severely limits (IMO) job choices/availability/income. Just remember if the cost of living is low so is the available income/hourly wage. So if the cost of living is low chances are the wages will reflect that.

We are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania only because we like the weather/change of seasons which would be similar to New Jersey plus being near retirement our 401Ks will not be taxed during disbursement as they would be in New Jersey.

Keep in mind we stopped snowmobiling a few years ago and now our recreation/life revolves around motorcycling which in the right climate is a 9-12 month a year activity.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »
Once I retire (8 years away min) I absolutely need to leave Illinois, for all of the reasons mentioned earlier. High real estate taxes, high gas taxes, high sales taxes, traffic, crime, and more. I would like to go somewhere #1) with a view, #2) with like minded people, #3) with things to do, places to go, etc. Out West is on the list for sure, as it meets most of those items. Hoping I can visit that area for much longer periods of time and see what I find.

I would suggest just renting a joint for a year and seeing how much you like it or don't....