Author Topic: UP ride Jan 17-18  (Read 202 times)

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
UP ride Jan 17-18
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:23:31 PM »
Went to the UP for a quick ride this past weekend.  Got there at a great time. Snow was really good. 

I will say that the trail between Houghton and Toivola was CRAP and a bit dangerous in a couple spots.  The Keweenaw club needs to learn to groom at night when the traffic is low to allow the ribbon they lay down to firm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
Re: UP ride Jan 17-18
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
A couple more pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleds:
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »
I will say that the trail between Houghton and Toivola was CRAP and a bit dangerous in a couple spots.  The Keweenaw club needs to learn to groom at night when the traffic is low to allow the ribbon they lay down to firm up.

I'm confident there is not a club in the UP that doesn't know it's best to groom at night when traffic is low.  Groomer repair, operator availability, and DNR or local contracts for grooming are just a few examples of why trails may be run at "non ideal" times.  Sunday afternoon I groomed the CJ Ramstad North Shore trail because the groomer had a mechanical failure Saturday night which required a field repair and we wanted to get it back to our maintenance shop before dark as to not strand the operator (me) if it went down during the run.  I've learned clubs generally know what they are doing and are doing the best they can with available resources, using volunteers who likely also have full time jobs.
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
2Qik,

I agree that "most" clubs know when the ideal time to groom is, but the Keweenaw club is the exception.  I spend time in the groomer (when we have snow) for my local area club as well, and do understand the resources issue, but this club is one of the few that pay the operators, they apparently do not pay to have them groom at night.  I have been going to this area for decades now and have first hand witnessed the change how this club operates and maintains the trails. 

Sleds:

MNUSA